Tuition Assistance

All branches of the U.S. military provide tuition assistance for active-duty service members, including those in National Guard or Reserve units. Eligibility criteria, benefit options and application procedures vary by branch. Billing and processing are not handled by Military Student Services, but we are available for guidance.


Prospective students must receive approval from an Education Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your service branch prior to enrolling.

Contact the Office of Military Services for more info

Army:  ArmyIgnitED 2.0 launched on August 2, 2022. All soldiers need to do the following:

  • Create an ArmyIgnitED Account
  • Apply and be admitted to Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Attend Orientation and Register for Classes
  • Review your online degree plan through your “Degree Works” summary
  • Upload your Degree Works (accessible in eServices)
  • Request TA no earlier than 60 days and no later than 7 days prior to the start of class
  • Once TA is approved, submit approved TA authorizations to Third party Billing prior to the posted deadline

Steps on how to access your degree plan in Patriot Web:

  1. Sign in to your MyVCU account
  2. Select “Student”
  3. Select “Degree Works”
  4. Save or Print your degree summary as PDF

Follow ArmyIgnitED on Facebook for the most updated information!

Other branch affiliated Tuition Assistance  program links:

Please reach out to the Office of Military Services for assistance at 804.828.6563 or email