We provide the following policies and resources to help military students succeed at Virginia Commonwealth University:
All students receiving benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs must submit the Request for Certification to Military Student Services each semester, including summer sessions. Our office certifies enrollment to the VA for processing. The VA determines eligibility for education assistance in all cases.
Students receiving benefits under Ch. 30 or Ch. 1606 of the Montgomery GI Bill must verify their enrollment to the VA each month on the Department of Veterans Affairs W.A.V.E. website.
Adding, dropping or withdrawing from classes can impact on VA benefits eligibility. Any changes to enrollment must be documented through the Request for Certification and submitted to Military Student Services.
For tutoring assistance, call the Campus Learning Center at (804) 827-8108. The GI Bill also provides supplemental tutoring assistance for students enrolled at least half time who are falling behind in an approved course.
For questions about this program, contact the GI Bill helpline at (888) 442-4551.
Military student organizations
Joining a military student organization is an excellent way to meet other veterans at VCU:
- Student Veterans Association helps veterans take full advantage of the educational and career-enhancing opportunities provided at VCU through academic, social and service events.
- VCU ROTC, in partnership with the University of Richmond ROTC Spider Battalion, enables students to participate in military classes and activities. The ROTC program sponsors a Ranger Challenge team, an elite group of cadets who train in Ranger tactics and compete in events against ROTC cadets from other universities.
Off-campus housing options
For finding places to live off-campus, please visit VCU off-campus housing website or call (804) 828-6500.
- Counseling Resources for Military Families
- Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Disabled American Veterans
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
- Military Rape Crisis Center
- National Center for PTSD
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Veterans Crisis Line
- Veterans' Employment and Training Service
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Virginia Department of Veterans Services
- Veterans and Mesothelioma
- Wounded Warrior Project
This list contains links to external websites. VCU is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of these sites.