For students

We provide the following policies and resources to help military students succeed at Virginia Commonwealth University:

Enrollment verification

All students receiving benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs must submit the Request for Certification to Military Student Services each semester, including summer sessions. Our office certifies enrollment to the VA for processing. The VA determines eligibility for education assistance in all cases.

“Students receiving benefits under the Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® must verify their enrollment to the VA each month. More information can be found here.

Enrollment changes

Adding, dropping or withdrawing from classes can impact on VA benefits eligibility. Any changes to enrollment must be documented through the Request for Certification and submitted to Military Student Services.

Tutoring assistance

For tutoring assistance, call the Campus Learning Center at (804) 827-8108. The GI Bill® also provides supplemental tutoring assistance for students enrolled at least half time who are falling behind in an approved course.

For questions about this program, contact the GI Bill® helpline at (888) 442-4551.

Military student organizations

Joining a military student organization is an excellent way to meet other veterans at VCU:

  • Student Veterans Association helps veterans take full advantage of the educational and career-enhancing opportunities provided at VCU through academic, social and service events.
  • VCU ROTC, in partnership with the University of Richmond ROTC Spider Battalion, enables students to participate in military classes and activities. The ROTC program sponsors a Ranger Challenge team, an elite group of cadets who train in Ranger tactics and compete in events against ROTC cadets from other universities.

Off-campus housing options

For finding places to live off-campus, please visit VCU off-campus housing website or call (804) 828-6500.