Getting started

Follow these steps to apply for admission at Virginia Commonwealth University and use your GI Bill benefits:

1. Apply to VCU

Complete the application that corresponds to you:

  • Use the freshman application if you have never taken any college-level courses after high school, even if you may receive credit for military training.
  • Use the transfer application if you have previously taken college-level courses, either online or in person.
  • Use the graduate application to enroll in a master’s or doctoral program.

Pay attention to admission requirements, deadlines and details about submitting academic transcripts and test scores. Check your application status through VCU Admissions.

Contact Chyanne Trowell, our Military Student Services admissions advisor, if you have any questions.

2. Request military transcripts

Once you’ve applied to VCU, request to have your military transcripts sent to electronically VCU to determine if you qualify for academic credits through military training.

3. Apply for GI Bill® benefits

To apply for education benefits through the GI Bill®, submit the appropriate form to the Department of Veterans Affairs so the VA can verify your eligibility.

  • If you have never received VA education benefits, activate and apply for your benefits online through  You will create your account with the VA and indicate which military benefit you are applying for.  After completing your application the VA should issue you a copy of your "COE" (certificate of eligibility) normally within 30 days
  • If you are an active duty service member or a veteran and have previously used military benefits at another institution, you do not need to re-apply at but rather transfer your benefits to VCU by completing the VA 22-1995 Change of Program Place or Training Form.
  • If you are a military dependent or spouse who has previously received transferred benefits, complete the VA 22-5495 Change of Program Place of Training Form

4. Meet with your academic advisor

Once you're admitted to VCU, you will need to register for an orientation session. As part of orientation, you will meet with your academic adviser and register for courses. Your adviser will help you choose courses that meet GI Bill® certification requirements.

5. Submit forms to VCU

After your advisor approves your courses for the upcoming semester and you have registered, request your benefits by logging into the Request for Certification portal and filling out the form.

Please also submit copies of the forms below by mail, e-mail or in-person to VCU Military Student Services so we can get your GI Bill benefits to you ASAP. The following documents comprise a complete package for new students. We will only accept complete packages.

  • DD-214 if separated
  • Current orders if on active duty
  • Certificate of Eligibility

6. Apply for additional aid (optional)

Scholarships and other financial aid may be used in conjunction with your GI Bill® benefits. Contact Military Student Services or Student Financial Services to discuss your eligibility.